Re: Problems with Larger Tires?

While making mud pies in the back yard, "Dean L. Kellogg, Jr"
<kelloggd@domain.elided> giggled:

>Hi Learned Listees,

Well this rules me out, but I'll throw in my $0.02 worth anyway...

>I am considering putting larger tires (larger than stock) on my 1980 Scout
>II and would like to get any "warnings" and "experiences" before I do so.

You don't say how big you plan on going, but I upgraded to size
10.5x31-R15LT Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers over the stock size.

>1) What problems could develop with steering?

In my case (1976 Traveler) with stock heavy extra capacity springs, the
front of the front wheel well can rub the tire if the springs are
compressed and the tires are turned right or left.  The rubbing it minor
and doesn't damage the tire or truck.

>2) What front end problems could this cause?

I have noticed none whatsoever.  I've heard that if you currently have
front end problems (like loose or warn out components), installing larger
(read heavier) tires can exaggerate these problems.

>3) Does a front end alignment need to be done with the larger tires?

All else being the same, the alignment will not change simply by installing
bigger tires.  I checked mine and it was and still is right on the money.

>4) Would acceleration be adversely effected?

Heavier tires will take more horsepower to turn and reduce acceleration
times... but I couldn't detect any difference in my case.  I don't
accelerate hard or drive fast in the first place so this wasn't a concern.

I recorded an 11 percent increase in fuel economy due solely to switching
to the lager tires.  This is of course due to the reduction in engine rpm.
(And yes... my speedometer was calibrated both before and recalibrated
after.)  I have 3.54:1 axle gearing.

Best regards,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   |    1976 Scout II Traveler "Patriot"
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |