Re: carb rebuilding

William M Wisser <wmw@domain.elided> scribbled in the sand:

>My question
>is:  I got a rebuild kit (I couldn't find a Holley Renew kit) and it comes
>with no identification of included parts.  I have a Holley carb book and
>the IHC manual so have no problems with instructions, but the kit has a
>1/2" or so spacer (I guess) with only the two holes for the 2bbls.  Is
>this optional?  I have read various good things about spacers but where
>exactly does it go?  Between the bottom gasket and the bottom of the carb,
>or between the bottom gasket and the manifold?  It does not have mounting
>holes.  Also, would I have any clearance problems on an unlifted scout
>with new body mounts?

Bill,

Without actually seeing it, this sure sounds like the carburetor to manifold
gasket.  It's supposed to be thick to reduce the amount of heat finding its
way up to the carburetor float bowl from the intake manifold.  If your
carburetor gets to hot (when using a thin gasket) the fuel will percolate
(boil) in the float bowl and cause havoc with idling and drivability... no to
mention the fuel will very quickly evaporate out of the bowl every time you
shut off the engine.  This makes restarts a pain... lots of cranking to refill
the float bowl before she'll start.

What's strange is that you mention it has no mounting holes!  This not right
and it sounds to me like you received a defective rebuild kit???  There should
be the four bolt holes in the corners of this gasket.  Typically in high
quality rebuild kits theses four holes will have metal sleeves in them so you
can't over tighten the bolts, crush the gasket and possibly crack the base of
the carburetor.  I'd give serious thought to taking the kit back for an
exchange... or have them replace just that gasket.

>The rebuild is very simple but I believe I lost the accelerator discharge
>needle.  Oops.  Is it possible that mine never had one though Holley says
>it did? (2210C 2bbl)

Yes... you most definitely need that piece, or the accelerator pump will not
function.  See if the auto parts store or Holley can sell you a replacement,
or maybe someone on the Digest has a defunct 2210C carburetor they could steal
the part from?  I have a Holley 2210C from my Traveler that I've moth balled
in perfect condition, so I'd rather not start parting it out.  But if you
really get stuck, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

>I don't have a garage so I had to dismantle it
>outside and I was kind of rushing to finish before nightfall.  It is a
>little cold up here in the great Northeast, and as I dumped out the gas
>from the float bowl it may have just fallen out.  I am trying to get a
>hold of Holley, but if they cannot provide one what are my options?  I
>would rather not buy a new (rebuilt) one, but if I had to how do I know
>what bolts on and fits all the vacuum hoses?

Can you go back and carefully look around for the discharge needle where you
dumped the gas out?  It would be a shame to spend all that money on a rebuilt
just to get a little pump discharge needle!  If you do get a replacement carb
and it's the correct model, it should be a direct fit with no guesswork.

Good luck,

John
jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |