Electric power Scout

From: Steve Stegmann <stegmann@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: ihc-digest V5 #114 Electric power Scout
"Does he have a clue what power steering and brakes, not to mention
headlights, heater and windshield wiper will do to his range.  Did you
ever notice the bright hopefull news pieces about battery cars are always
shot in southern CA in daylight with dead level streets."

	Well Steve,  If he doesn't have a clue, I do.  Converting a Scout into
an Electric vehicle, or "EV" as known in industry, is relatively absurd for
many of the reasons you say.  However, having worked on, fixed, designed,
built, and even raced a few different EVs including two fully solar powered
cars, I would have to beg to differ about your attitude towards them.  I
know its An IH digest, so I'll keep it short.  Many small cars such as VW
rabbits and Geo metros are easily converted into EV with the use of 12
12volt batteries and a small electric motor under the hood, any small front
wheel drive car can be adapted with a little thought.  A small company that
started out of MIT called Solectria was just featured on Good Morning
America with their newest model EV which is about the size of a Honda
Accord, has power windows, locks, steering, brakes, CD stereo,....  and has
a range of 300 miles per an eight hour 110v charge.  Sounds like plenty of
commuter mileage to me.  With a top speed of about 75 mph, its not a bad
alternative.  I believe the MSRP was $30k-$35k.  I've worked with and raced
against those guys while they were developing their technologies in '95,
they'er smart guys.
	Not everyone goes off-roading or tows a trailer on a weekly basis like
many of us on the digest.  I know what your thinking, and I'm right there
with ya.  I'll always love my gas guzzlin, loud barkin Scout, and nothing
beats the power of a neck snapping V8, but sooner or later, many of the
newer vehicles will be EVs.  Chances are I will own one, but it wont
replace the Scout.

Food for thought,
Tark '77 Terra 345/T19/D20  approx 13mpg