carb rebuilding

Everyone seems to be rebuilding carbs at the same time.  Maybe it is the
collective encouragement of the digest.

Anyway, my '75 Scout II 345 was not idling at all.  It would run fine but
die everytime I stopped once it was warmed up.  Adjusting the idle screws
seemed to have no effect so I assumed it was the idle mixture screws.
Last weekend I decided to take the air cleaner off and just watch the
engine warm up and then die.  To my suprise I saw an obvious problem - it
was leaking gas out of the fuel bowl gasket.  Gas dries clear so I never
saw it before.  Am I correct in assuming this could cause my idle problem?
Even if not, leaking gas on a hot engine with various electric components
in various states of disrepair lying around the engine compartment is not
my idea of a liveable condition.

So the carb is now soaking in some gunk in dozens of pieces.  My question
is:  I got a rebuild kit (I couldn't find a Holley Renew kit) and it comes
with no identification of included parts.  I have a Holley carb book and
the IHC manual so have no problems with instructions, but the kit has a
1/2" or so spacer (I guess) with only the two holes for the 2bbls.  Is
this optional?  I have read various good things about spacers but where
exactly does it go?  Between the bottom gasket and the bottom of the carb,
or between the bottom gasket and the manifold?  It does not have mounting
holes.  Also, would I have any clearance problems on an unlifted scout
with new body mounts?

The rebuild is very simple but I believe I lost the accelerator discharge
needle.  Oops.  Is it possible that mine never had one though Holley says
it did? (2210C 2bbl)  I don't have a garage so I had to dismantle it
outside and I was kind of rushing to finish before nightfall.  It is a
little cold up here in the great Northeast, and as I dumped out the gas
from the float bowl it may have just fallen out.  I am trying to get a
hold of Holley, but if they cannot provide one what are my options?  I
would rather not buy a new (rebuilt) one, but if I had to how do I know
what bolts on and fits all the vacuum hoses?

Ok, a lot of questions, but any info is appreciated like always.

Bill Wisser