Re: ihc-digest V5 #115 Front anti sway bar

That big slab of steel connecting the two front shackels is an anti sway
bar.  Think about it.  As the springs move up and down the shackel will
rotate about the upper pin.  If they move together this plate offers no
resistance, if they try to move out of phase (one wheel up the other
down) it will fight that movement.  This happens when the body tries to
roll in a corner.  If you need the articulation, just unbolt it and put
it back on for the road.

It doesn't effect the steering directly.  It's not the cause of the
"Dreaded Scout Wander", and it can't fix it.  The wandering is caused by
no caster angle on the front wheels.  My '79 wanders.  When I put my lift
on I'm going to add a 2 degree wedge and see if this helps the
wandering.  They fixed the wander in '80 by adding 2 deg caster.

Steve

Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776