Replies after 2 wks behind...

         Pete Shubin:  The brake warning light serves three purposes.

     First) it comes on at startup to let you know that the bulb is
     still good.  It should come on when you turn the key to the 'start'
     position, then go out when you let go.

     Second) It can come on to let you know that the E-brake is engaged,
     or if the wire is shorted to ground, it will stay on.  Believe it
     or not of 10 cars with the light-stays-on-problem that come into my
     Uncle's shop, 7 of them are a bent of broken e-brake light switch.

     Third)  The light should come on when there is a difference in
     pressures between the front and rear braking systems at the
     proportioning valve.  Ie. if the rear line blows, the check valve
     will slide to the rear, seal it off, and run only the fronts.
     Usually a fix/refill/bleed/refill, and then a firm pressure on the
     pedal will reset this switch.  Only after that, remove the switch
     as its removal may introduce air into an already suspect braking
     system.

        Ken Hitchcox:  Was the camper scout Gray with a white/old white
     camper top?  There is a guy here in Tucson with that conversion.
     Really adds alot of space as it hangs about 4 or 5 inches over the
     bed rails.  The one here in Tucson is about a '72 with the vertical
     bars grill.

     J Staub:  About the wobbling wheel.  When I rolled my Scout II
     about two years ago now, I had it rolled back over by a Mercedes 5
     ton flatbed.  Well, it came back over,, but the left rear wheel
     wobbled.  I had bent the hub flange where the wheel bolts on the
     axle.  I checked the runout, was about .015" as I can remember.  It
     adds up to about 1/4" of runout (laterally) with the tire on it.
     Can't feel it while driving, but it looks kinda bad.  All the tires
     on the rig run the same on that corner, so I'm pretty sure it's the
     hub, not the wheel.

        About Keys for the ignition, can anyone recommend a good way to
     get an original key made for my ign lock, without removing the
     lock?  I have the three way rubber cover on the steering wheel in
     the T'all, and I'm not sure how to get it off.  Prior to last week,
     I could not switch to accesory, only with alot of fiddling, did I
     finally get it, and it's very inconvenient.  I'm not all to keen on
     leaving the ign in the on position as this has been linked to Gold
     Box death.  Any ideas?

        Rob Hughes:  About your tranny slipping, if you only had it slip
     the one day, you're better off than I am.  Mine in the T'all has
     been doing it for 14K mi now.  Bad Clutch discs inside is the
     diagnosis from everyone.  Mine kind of shudders on acceleration,
     very disconcerting.  Also if the seal is bad bt the speedo drive it
     *IS* possible to leak fluid out the port.  How long had it been
     since you checked it last?  A drip can drain a tranny in a month or
     so.

        About stealing Scouts it reminded me of a story.  It's kinda
     long but you'll all enjoy the end.

     About 4 years ago, (and one girlfriend), we parked my Scout II at
     her apartments and took her car to go to a movie, 7:30 PM.  We come
     back about 10:15 or so, only to find that as we round the corner,
     we both see (She's driving her car, I'm shotgun) two kids circa
     16yrs, Pushing my scout by the winch bumper into a parking space
     (backing it in).  It was only about 50 feet from where I left it,
     but MY TRUCK!?  I get out of the car as if to help the kids push
     it, then break into a run about 15 feet from them.  They see me and
     bolt for the courtyard.  I follow them around a corner and realize
     wait, they're going back out towards the street!.  I turn around
     and go back to the truck, which by this time had rolled dangerously
     close (forward) to the other cars in the lot.  They were pushing it
     uphill backwards.  Anyway, I get out my keys (in my pocket) open up
     the truck, and get in.  The kids had gone in through the always
     faulty rear gate latch, and climbed over the bed-full of motorcycle
     wreckage parts.  Here's the kicker!

     I GET IN, TAKE THE E BRAKE OFF, TAKE IT OUT OF 4 WHEEL LO, AND PUT
     IT IN NEUTRAL.

        I had a misadjusted cable that would look like neutral for
     reverse.  Starter up, and drive around the complex to the other
     side.  I pull into the lot, and see two kids walking and joking
     like chums, and they're the ones.  I put er in park get out with it
     running, and bolt for the kids, they run off, and I judge for the
     slower kid.  I chase him accross the street into the gas station (
     iwas gaining pretty good) where he trips over the curb (with me 5
     feet behind him not tripping) he falls on his face and breaks his
     nose which looks like a small tomato now.  In falling he drops:
     Pocket knife, small screwdriver, gloves, and a pager.

        I sit on his back wrap his arms back, empty his pockets, and
     take off his hat.  I then stand up lifting him up by his hair, and
     arms behind his back, and as I lead him to the inside of the store
     to alert authorities, I'm poking him in the back with the
     screwdriver, and with my best Jack Nicholson heeeer's johnny voice,
     I tell him that if he's gonna steal cars, he's got to run faster.

        I've felt no better feeling in the world than having the
     officers (9 in all, and 5 squad cars) write on the report of GTA:

     Vehicle recovered by:    OWNER!

     WOOHOOO Score one for the owner of an IH, and IH owners everywhere.

     A couple more tidbits, the truck was so far out of gas from four
     wheeling all day that I thought I wasn't even going to make it to
     the gas station that I had just run to.  It had the e-brake on, in
     4-lo, and they never unlocked the steering column.

     Also a year later it turns out that one of my friends, had a friend
     that was the older brother of the car thief.  Small world.

     Sorry for the length folks, but I hope y'all enjoyed it.

     -Joel Brodsky

         '76 IHC Scout II 345/tf727
         '75 IHC Travelall 150 4wd 392/tf727
         '72 Chev Carryall 3dr 4wd 350/th350 sold, but not forgotten.