Bungees

>	I can use a bungee as Tom suggested and tie a bunch together when
>I find a cliff and go bungee jumping! :) (Thats really what you have in
>mind for all those bungees you just bought, isn't it Tom?) <BG>

Actually, I'll share why I bought the bungees and another hint for everyone.

The first thing about the Bungees (and that roll of duct tape) is to have
'em handy just in case.. always a good thing.  I still need to buy some
baling twine to stash in my Scout, too..

BUT, I specifically went out and bought this new batch ($10 for misc. sizes
at Wal-mart.. I think mom stole my other box when she "cleaned up" the
garage.. luckily my T19 and Dana 44 didn't go anywhere!)..

I also bought first one, then two, and finally a total of THREE 8 gallon
Action Packers (the smaller, squarish size that looks Decent, not the
"under-seat" squished flat units, nor the jumbo sizes).

I found I can fit TWO Action Packers width-ways side by side, between the
wheel wells on my Scout II.  Right behind the rear seat, against it, they
fit *almost* snug between the fenders.  Probably an inch or two of extra room.

The bungees were then wrapped around each roll-bar leg, and then down under
the large lip half-way in the side of the Packers.. I used two good sized
cords, and hooked 'em together.  The "tight" fit keeps the Packers from
sliding side to side, and the bungees keep 'em tight against the seat.

I also used some more bungees to keep the junk 6x9s in wedge boxes seated on
top of the Action packers, against the seat, but facing rearward (the $25
pawn shop Realistic doesn't sound good PERIOD.. it's just makes some noise
that I can recognize.. I think my memory plays more of the song than the
radio does..)

Of course, when I finally bought the cords, I also bought a THIRD 8 gallon
Action Packer.. and I placed it the other direction (long side runs
front/back).  It fits just nicely between the two side-by-side Action
Packers, and the tailgate.  In fact, I bet 5 Action Packers would fill up
the cargo area pretty well..

(NOTE: Action Packers are the name given to Rubbermade's storage bins for
automotive uses.. the 8gal. run just under $10 at Wal-mart)

I have on Action Packer filled with flash lights, tow straps, three MRE
rations, a two anti-freeze jugs full of traction sand, extra flashlight
batteries, some oil, brake fluid, and a few others.

One Packer has my new CarHart Artic insulated Coveralls.

the third.. I think it has the bungees in it, along with some misc. items
like a license plate lamp I haven't installed, and some extra bulbs and such..

BTW, anyone have a good replacement thought on the license plate lamp?  I'm
just waiting for an officer to need a new excuse to pull me over (after I
replaced the tail light they got me for last time.. by walking around back
with my Leatherman and a spare bulb, changing in front of the officer.. HAH!).

I have two styles that I've found at the local stores.. one is LARGE, a
round bulb with a ring around the base, with some triangle "claws" that go
away from the bulb.. designed to be stuffed into a rather large hole, and
interference fit.

The other looks about the right size and such, but it's a cylinder, mated to
a flange.. my plan is to drill out the dimple that holds the cylinder to the
flange, and use just the cylinder w/ bulb, and maybe fit the flange back on
after I fit it though the stock lamp hole.

Oh.. previous owner cut the wires on the license plate lamp.. :)

And John Hofstetter, YES, at -20 things get gummed up.  The hydraulic clutch
on my old Chevy Luv gets gummed up at -20.. feels like I dump the clutch
every time I shift.  Another warning: if you need 4wd to get out of your
driveway (but not 2wd to get in), make sure you slip into 4-hi before you
shut the truck off at night.. because in the morning, at -20, gear lube in
the transfer case is NOT very cooperative with shifting that transfer case
lever..   Heck, my manual steering box wouldn't move very nicely either..
and when I would get the truck running, there would be an audible "POP" type
sound when I would nail the clutch to pull out of the driveway.. nothin'
wants to move.

One solution.. get the truck running, tranny in almost-high gear (2nd on my
3spd), and transfer case in NEUTRAL.. let the motor warm up in gear, turning
the tranny and transfer case.. then when you go to leave, at least the
transfer case shifts and things are a little smoother.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout II

High of 10 or so today, low of -5 tonight, and ITS SNOWING!  Yeah!