	Date: Tue,  6 Jan 98 13:39:13 PDT
	From: rweller@domain.elided
	Subject: CA Smog

	The saga continues.  California exempted pre-1973 vehicles from
the biennial
	smog certification requirement effective January 2, 1998.  Since
my Scout 800B
	had registration expiring January 12, 1998, I tried to get a
"smog-less" renewal
	in November 1997.  Of course, the DMV held my renewal,
responding that I would
	have to  send in a smog certificate.  Once the registration
process has been
	started, there is no way to stop it; they will not return your
application and
	check.  Several phone calls later, I was told that I could
simply notify the DMV
	in writing after January 2 and they would mail out my renewed
registration at
	that time.  (Why they couldn't do this in November, I don't
know...)

	So, I dutifully sent the DMV a letter on January 2 asking them
to please finish
	processing my renewal, since my vehicle is now exempt from the
smog requirement.
	I called today (January 6) to check on my renewal.  Of course,
they had not
	received my letter, had no record of my prior phone calls, and
started to give
	me a hard time about needing to submit proof of insurance
coverage (which I had
	submitted back in November).  After some complaining and
cajoling, the DMV
	technician agreed to take my word that the insurance proof had
been previously
	submitted and "clear" my renewal for release.  She assured me
that the
	registration documents would be in the mail by tomorrow.  We
shall see what
	arrives in my mailbox...

	A word to the wise.  If you tried to renew your smogless Scout
or other other
	pre-1974 vehicle prior to January 2, 1998, you should call the
DMV and see just
	where your registration is in their labyrinth.  If you wait
until after your
	registration has expired, who knows what sort of late fees,
penalties, and other
	crapola they will hit you with.

	Bob Weller
	Glen Ellen, CA