CA Smog

The saga continues.  California exempted pre-1973 vehicles from the biennial
smog certification requirement effective January 2, 1998.  Since my Scout 800B
had registration expiring January 12, 1998, I tried to get a "smog-less" renewal
in November 1997.  Of course, the DMV held my renewal, responding that I would
have to  send in a smog certificate.  Once the registration process has been
started, there is no way to stop it; they will not return your application and
check.  Several phone calls later, I was told that I could simply notify the DMV
in writing after January 2 and they would mail out my renewed registration at
that time.  (Why they couldn't do this in November, I don't know...)

So, I dutifully sent the DMV a letter on January 2 asking them to please finish
processing my renewal, since my vehicle is now exempt from the smog requirement.
I called today (January 6) to check on my renewal.  Of course, they had not
received my letter, had no record of my prior phone calls, and started to give
me a hard time about needing to submit proof of insurance coverage (which I had
submitted back in November).  After some complaining and cajoling, the DMV
technician agreed to take my word that the insurance proof had been previously
submitted and "clear" my renewal for release.  She assured me that the
registration documents would be in the mail by tomorrow.  We shall see what
arrives in my mailbox...

A word to the wise.  If you tried to renew your smogless Scout or other other
pre-1974 vehicle prior to January 2, 1998, you should call the DMV and see just
where your registration is in their labyrinth.  If you wait until after your
registration has expired, who knows what sort of late fees, penalties, and other
crapola they will hit you with.

Bob Weller
Glen Ellen, CA