Re: Propane conversion

I don't know a lot about propane engines other than I believe there are
two different classes of propane engines.  IH did produce versions of
many of their engines specifically for propane use.  The use of a special
manifold was mentioned and I believe valve and seat differences were
involved because propane did not offer the lubrication that gasoline with
lead did.  There were also aftermarket conversion kits available that
were added to gasoline versions.  These would have dual-fuel capability.
It's possible that factory-built propane trucks do not have the ability
to use gasoline.

I'm not sure if propane versions of the light line were factory built or
if those were TSPC or dealer conversions.  I suspect that they are
conversions.  I'm reasonably certain no Scout propane models were built
at the factory.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts