Re: Dash Lights?

On Sun, 04 Jan 1998 23:51:25 -0500 Ed Kraus <Edkraus@domain.elided>
writes:
>OK, I just spent 4hrs removing my fire wall electric plug because it
>seems to be a major factor in my electrical problem.  I now have
>spliced wires and no plug.
>
>My question.  With the headlights on it a 1974 scout II are the
>blinker lights on steady till selected then blink, OR are they out till
>selected then blink.
>
>Now that my wiring is almost fixed my left blinker is out till selected
>then blinks. and my right is on solid and blinks when selected.  WHICH
>IS RIGHT???  and now why is it happening.

The indicator should only be on when the turn signal is blinking.  It
sounds like you probably have a bad ground from your front panel to the
rest of the vehicle.  When there is not a good ground and any of the
lights--headlights or parking--are on, current can flow from the ground
side of the turn signal bulb, through the filiament of the bulb and
wiring to the indicator bulb and then to ground.  That is why some of the
indicators are on all the time.  Hook a ground wire to the front panel
and run it to the frame, block, or the battery itself and I expect your
trouble will go away.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts