Re: locking steering column

VEATCH1234 wrote:

> I've got a '75 150 4x4 with the locking steering column.  Pulled it into the
> barn to do some work on it, and the ignition switch seems to be stuck in the
> lock position.  Pulled the steering wheel off of it thinking that maybe I
> could get to the ignition switch and free it up, but there's at least one more
> plate in the way.  Anybody have any idea how to get the darn thing to unlock?
You need to push in the lock plate slightly and remove a split ring on
the column shaft. On my GMC I was able to push the lock plate down by
hand (its got spring behind it), but have not been able to budge the one
on my Scout, you may have to buy a lock plate depressor.
Eric
PS The key on my GMC got stuck on run one day, after disassembly and
struggle I finally just forced it back to off by tapping the ears on the
lock with a hammer. Its worked perfect ever since.