Re: locking steering column

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, VEATCH1234 wrote:

> could get to the ignition switch and free it up, but there's at least one more
> plate in the way.  Anybody have any idea how to get the darn thing to unlock?
> I need to get the truck the heck out of the barn pretty quick (plus the truck
> ain't doing me any good when it will only go straight :-)  ).

Hmm.. we had a problem with one of my brother's Chevettes.. some how or
other we managed to break the locking column.. a little.. there's a pin
that falls inbetween a cog (resembles your bicycle sprocket).  Once you
manage to pry that pin out of the hole it's in, you can turn the wheel
1/8th or so of a turn.. then it locks into the next hole.

We solved this by placing a few pieces of Duct Tape (hooray!) around the
column, in between the locking "sprocket" and the (upraised) pin.. it was
a little rough, but we managed to steer it well enough for me to hook up
the tow strap and take it to the junk yard for processing. :-)

-Tom