loud knock

>Here it is.  I have just finished putting back my SD 220 after =
>rebuilding and when I turned it over I got this real loud knock.  This =
>knock is not noticeable...doesn't happen when I'm in idle only when in =
>gear.
I assume that when you say idle, you mean in nuetral. If this is true,
then the noise, I would think, isn't coming from the engine. You need to
look at the work you did at the clutch and rearward. I don't think, based
on what you have said, that the problem is even in the clutch area, as
the position of the throwout bearing and such should be the same in
neutral or in gear. The noise must come from a part that is turning when
in gear and not turning when in neutral.

>My old rings were in good shape so I didn't replace them.  Had a valve =
>job done and the only other thing that I replaced other than the gaskets =
>was the throwout bearing.  My main bearing and journals were in great =
>shape so I believe that the engine was rebuild at least once before.  =
>The pistons and cylinders also checked out.

Irrelevant to the problem, I think.
John H.