Auto Hubs

>*SO*.. because of the auto hubs in my donor '76 Dana 44, I'm considering a
>Lock-rite (it's all locked or open I guess, and I want all locked!).
>
>The lock-rite will allow one axle shaft to overrun the driveshaft, but ONE
>driveshaft MUST turn at the same speed (x gearing) as the driveshaft.
>
>BUT.. what happens when I'm in 4WD, making a turn?
>
>The inside wheel turns slower, thus the Locker drives the inside wheel.
>Outside wheel turns faster, overruning... either the AUTO hub overruns, or
>the Lockrite overruns.. not sure which will happen first.
>
>This will still cause me some bucking around a turn.. inside wheel turning
>as fast as the rear end..
>
>Originally along this thought I was thinking I'd avoid any bucking.. not
>true :)
>
>BUT, would replacing the Lock-Rite with a mini-spool make one lick of
>difference?  Obviously putting the hubs in LOCK mode will change
>everything.. ;-)
>
>More musings from Tom
>Helena, MT
>http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/
Tom,
This isn't exactly an answer to your question. You may remember that I
sold some automatic hubs through the digest a couple of months ago,
because with the limited slip diff I had in the front axle, they usually
never disengaged and the front axle and driveshaft turned all the time.
Dan, who bought my hubs didn't think the auto hubs were the problem, but
Rusty from Medford, OR who sold me the new Warn hubs told me that they
sell many many replacements for the auto hubs because of this problem.
The bottom line for this part of my message is don't use the auto hubs
with a limited slip or locking front differential. Besides that, some of
my happiest memories are of being stuck in mud holes or Canyonlands
quicksand, and having my wife get out to turn my hubs. The auto hubs took
that pleasure away from us (me). Don't deprive Julie of her chance to be
of service to the cause of getting unstuck.

Warn and my Scout manual told me many years ago that if I needed
compression braking help in regard to traction, that the auto hubs needed
to be locked manually. I've had many many experiences that verify that.
I've slid sideways with the hubs not manually locked, and then turned and
went down the same hill with them manually locked, and the difference was
very apparent. Also, if you think about how the auto hubs work, you'll
understand why this is so.
John

John Hofstetter
Life Member, National Rifle Association
Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association
Member, Sierra Macintosh Users Group  Member, MacTwain Macintosh Users
Group
Charter Member, FRIENDS OF DEATH VALLEY   Member, Blue Ribbon Coalition
Life Member, Association of California School Administrators
Owner of 79 Scout Terra "It's a legend"