Re: IH Optional "Driver Detection" feature

>spacing with the headlight and wiper knob.  I cut off the generic choke
>knob and installed a matching (for my Traveler) IH knob I obtained from a
>wrecking yard.  You'd swear it looks like a factory option.  The only thing

When I replaced the carb on my '72 (gen. Holley 7744(8?)), the choke was on
the passenger side of the carb (vs driver's for the stock *shot* Holley
2300), so I had to replace the choke cable with a longer unit.

I ran the cable and wired it all up, then took a torch and burnt off the
little rubber/plastic round end on the replacement cable.  I then took a
small drill, and drilled through the (now blackened) end.  I then slid my
original chrome (Deluxe interior!) knob over the replacement cable and
screwed it down.  It's not quite as tight as the stock cable was (different
sized fitting through the dash, it's a little loose I think.. been so long
since I've seen my '72..), but it looks pretty good.

I think I'm going to attempt to drill completely through my head light knob
and the corresponding shaft, and put a cotter pin or similar through it.
The factory install has a triangular, "treaded" (grooves) shaft, with a
corresponding interference fit knob.  This has long since stopped
"interfering", and the previous owner tried superglue and epoxy, both of
which worked for a short time.

>Just to the right of the steering column I added the throttle lock control.
>This is also spaced properly and is right under what *was* the lighted
>label that said "4-WHEEL" (which of course was for the single speed
>word "THROTTLE" in place of the 4-WHEEL (along with the standard words
>LIGHTER and FAN).  So that too looks like a factory install.  Pretty cool

Hah!  My '72 has the factory light (no hole yet) with the THROTTLE behind
it.. I also lack the "Front Axle Engaged" light on the dash (oh drat).  When
I get it back, I'll be looking forward to installing a throttle lock..

Oh, and factory spot for the manual choke is to the left of the column,
right of the washers.. I think.  Can't remember now.  I had to drill a hole
through my dash when I swapped on a different 1bbl on the 196 in the '77.

-Tom