No Subject

Dear Durabak ponderers:

I did a little research on the stuff a few months back.  Was all set to
apply to the '79 Traveler, before it turned into parts via a little
t-boning followed by pole-kissing.  Anyway, here is what I sent to and got
from the DURABAK folks, who are at:  http://www.truckworld.com/cote-l/  and
their email address is Cote-l@domain.elided

They also sent me a reprint of the Peterson's article (that is already
online), and a sample of the stuff. Not as thick as Diamond Liner, or
Rhinoliner or their ilk, but thick enough, textured, and cheap.  My
calculations for the size of a Traveler tub are available for those who
want'em.  I've already chewed up enough bandwidth.

>I ran across your page while searching for a liner for my vehicle.  My
>brother is also interested in lining his '74 Blazer.  I have a '79 IHC
>Scout Traveler, and would like to line the bed, and the "driver's
>compartment," up to the firewall.  The total area is 103 square feet.  I
>would like to use two coats.
>
>Please let me know what it would run for materials, including the Durabak
>product, the special rollers, etc., including shipping to Temple, Texas.
>
>I have a 5 HP air compressor, and would be interested in spraying the
>product, so if there are special requirements for spraying, please let me
>know.
>
>I look forward to hearing from you:
>
>Roger Scow
>
>Roger,

Durabak costs $99/gal (black) and $119/gal (colors).  A gallon will cover
apprx 60 sq ft with 2 coats.  You will need a gallon and 2 or 3 qts.
Shipping and c.o.d. will be apprx $25.  Roller pad is included with each
gallon.  You will need to supply your own xylene for cleaning.  To spray you
will need a 1/4" orifice and thin 10% with xylene.  We also offer volume
discounts so if you have other friends, neighbors, co-workers with trucks or
4 wheel vehicles be sure to let them know about Durabak.  If you would like
a product flyer and a Durabak sample chip please leave your mailing address
and specify what color you would like to see.  Thanks!

At 04:47 PM 10/13/97 +0000, you wrote:
>I got your printed flyer and sample of Durabak product, via US Mail.  Thank
>you very much.
>
>Question:  Is there any possibility that a pint or quart of Durabak without
>texture could be purchased?  My scout has a removable top, and the area on
>top of the bed rails, where the top sits, is an obvious source of rust
>growth--that can't be seen when the top is on.
>
>There is a U-shaped channel that sits in the middle of the top of the bed
>rail, where the screws go through the top into nuts set into the bedrail.
>
>What I would like to do is de-rust the top of the bedrail and seal the
>whole thing with Durabak, without texture, and then continue down the
>vertical part of the bed with texture, as is usually done.  This would
>allow me to have a rust-free area which would also help the sealing better
>when I put the top on.
>
>Please let me know.  I'd probably do this top part in white and the rest
>(with texture) in black.
>
>Roger Scow
>
>Roger,
You can screen out a large portion of the granules yourself using a mesh
screen. Just take a quart of white Durabak and empty the can back and forth
into another pail going through a mesh screen.  That process would get rid
of most of the granules.  We have had pretty good luck with this process in
the past. Thanks!

Please excuse my excess use of bandwidth, but maybe this will save some of
the questions you folks would have.

Happy Holidays

Roger Scow
'78 Traveler/392/727

***
It's funny, you'd think that all of those guys in MENSA, the genius club,
could have figured out that, in Spanish, "mensa" means "stupid."