Beginning mechanical info

The request for suggestions on finding introductory mechanical learning
struck a chord with me.  I'm only about 6 months old in IH years, and I did
very little auto repair before that.  Like other beginners, a lot of what
is discussed on the digest goes over my head -- it's hard to follow a long
post about hub-lock-nuts-spindle-counts-whatever when you've never opened
up a hub and looked at it.

The good news is, just about every time I've jumped in and just tried to
fix something (armed with manuals and advice from digesters), it's turned
out to be far less complicated than the intimidating jargon makes it sound.

Anyway, the best source I've found for basic auto repair knowledge is
www.autosite.com.  Check out the Garage section.  Tons of info on how
different systems work, and troubleshooting sections as well.  The Chiltons
70's truck manual is occasionally helpful, as is the Haynes manual for an
88 J**P I used to own.  Like others have said, sometimes a manual for
another car can shed light on something in your IH.  I'm a big fan of the
Haynes Techbook series.  I own the Haynes Holley carb book, the Haynes
electrical book, and the Haynes emissions book.  I reference them often,
and I'm thinking about getting body and welding books, as well.  No
affiliation with Haynes, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Rob