Rear brakes

Dear folks,

        My rear brakes on my Scout II are shot.  Rust has eaten off parts of
the drums and I would like suggestions on what to do to replace or upgrade
them.  I've got a few questions before I tear into this darned axle (this is
the one with the shredded Trac-Loc).

1.      How do you remove the rear drums?  Are the pressed onto the end of
the axle?  I've tried coaxing (gently, really!) the drums off and
parts of the drums just snapped off!

2.      Has anyone got a replacement source for the rear brake drums?  The
only         price I've gotten so far is $75.00 per drum.  Seemed a might
high to me!

3.      Has anyone installed rear disc brakes? Are there any aftermarket
suppliers for IH Dana 44 rear axles?

4.      What's the biggest tire being successfully run on rear Dana 44
axles?  I         want to install 33" tires on my Scout and I'm concerned
the Dana 44         might not be strong enough.

I really appreciate your help.  BTW, does anyone have an old rear diff
they've laid aside in favor of a Detroit or limited-slip diff? I'd even take
a trac-loc to get my Scout moving again!

Thanks,
Denni Feagins
'73 Scout II/V-304/TF727/Dana 20