RE: Gear Ratios & Economical IH Engine RPMs

OK, this has taken a while. I wanted to look closely at an IH brochure I
have from '69 called 'towing trailers with the Travelall'. I figgered who
better to tell us where the IH motors should be running under load than
sales engineering?.

>What is the minimum RPM that you can run an IH V-8 at freeway speeds and
>still have it effectively work? I ask this in terms of seeking better
>fuel economy.

I have always thought that optimum cruising RPM's for any motor should be
near or around the torque peak. Below it, and roll on acceleration and hill
climbing suffer, especially with larger tires. Far enough below it, and the
power needed for acceleration is gonna wipe out fuel economy gains from the
lower rev's. Witness my Scout 80 with 31's. Put 235/75's on it and it gets
better gas mileage by a long shot despite the increased revs. This all
assumes your rig isn't hugely overpowered and just loafing along no matter
what the load.

Here's engine #'s

Interesting to note how 'out of line' the 345 is in terms of peak torque
RPM. I'd be interested in any engine development details about why this is
so. Were they trying for the low torque peak, or was it a by-product of
some other part of the design?

The IH brochure is clearly oriented towards towing or otherwise loaded
operation. It breaks out equpment recommendations into specific categories
based on trailer weight(light, medium, heavy, extra heavy), usage(vacation,
seasonal, year 'round), and service(average and extreme). Recommendations
are specific to chassis model, 4x4 or not, engine, tire size/load rating
and axle gearing. I figured some engine rpm's at 60mph based on their
spec's, and got a range from 105% of the torque peak(304,light trailer,
vacation, average service) to about 116% of the torque peak(392, extra
heavy trailer, year 'round, extreme service). It makes sense that you'd
want more 'reserve' rpm with a heavier rig to avoid falling into the
'downshift hole' as quick.

Here's some more #'s

Or, for the bigger tire crowd

And yes, I ran max speeds for all the engine/axle combos of these 2 tire
sizes. I won't waste the space here, lets just say that the 266 is faster
than the 392, if you can wind it to redline and you don't over-rev the 392.
And no, 116mph ain't gonna set records.

Looking at the numbers, I'd say 3.07 is as high an axle ratio as I'd go if
you want any semblance of acceleration with all the motors except the 345.
Since it's torque peak rpm is down almost 17% from the 392 it looks like
you could run something as low as 2.56 if you didn't need to pull anything.
Sounds like 3.54 with a 27% overdrive might be perfect. That'd give you
1720rpm at 60mph with 31's in o/d.

Jim