Low Idle Failure

IH All,
   Need some serious advice.  My '74 has lost any ability to idle on the
low circuit.  For the past week I've been experiencing acceleration
hesitations.  They are much worse at the bottom of each gear.  Once I'm
through about 1/3 of each gear (three speed manual), I get smooth, constant
accelerations.  My gas mileage has stayed about the same.  95% of my
driving is on interstate.  Today it was so bad that I had to detour around
a modest hill just to get home.  (I made sure no J*#p drivers saw me!).
   Here are the specs for my setup:  74 II, 345, FORD 2100 2bbl carb
w/manual choke
Stock distro - no gov/no tach Breaker points ignition (ignition parts
replaced one month ago).  Timing was set to 8 deg during last tune-up.  I'd
re-check that first, but I can't get a curb idle
   While I was waiting for my wife to get home, I checked the following
things:
	Carb. Bowl filled to correct level (Just bought a re-build kit).  Both
jets sending to intake.  ?This should mean the fuel line/filter are good???
 Choke and gas flow look O.K.
	Distro.  Points are fine, gapped correctly.  No cracks in distro cap, new
wires one month ago.  Used a screwdriver to rotate the vacuume advance
plate - seemed a bit stiff, but this is the first time I've messed with it.
 When I checked the vaccume line from carb manifold to diaphram I was able
to blow small amounts of air
 through the line into the distro.could suck just the smaller amount of air
from distro.  The arm from the diaphram hardly moves during either.

Here are my questions

1.  It seems like my low idle is gone.  Does anybody have a reliable way
for a guy without vaccume testor or tach to troubleshoot this?
2.  Is the diaphram for the vaccume advance shot?  If so, does anybody know
af a part number or cross ref to get a new one?

This is my daily driver, and I'd sure like to get it back by monday.
Thanks in advance for the advice.  PLEASE SEND YOUR GREATLY APPRECIATED
REPLY TO BOTH EMAIL ADDRESSES, SO I CAN CHECK AT WORK!!!!!
								Mike
Mike, Rita, and Megan Stenstrom
stenmnr@domain.elided (home)
stenstm@domain.elided (work)
UNIX and LSD... the two most popular things to come out of  Berkeley.
I don't think it's a coincidence!" - Anonymous