Exhaust manifold gaskets

Does everyone else just use the stamped steel exhaust manifold
gaskets between the manifold and engine?  Mine don't seem to last
very long before I get a leak at one of the cylinders, and then it
souns like some kind if threshing machine (pun intended).  Many
other Internationals I see have the same problem.  If I had the heads
off I'd take them to a machine shop and have the head and manifold
trued up.  I'm not sure if just taking the manifold off and having it
surfaced will be enough?  Or are there other gasket materials
out there that work better, and are they available in pre-cut
gaskets for the 345?
Do folks with headers have this problem? (Not that I can afford
those right now)

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup