Re: need advice info

>  I just bought a  '72 Scout II with a 304, 4 speed, 3.73 dana 30-44,
>    My questions are lengthy so hang in there.

>the 304 heads on the 345? I'm talking significant difference?    2. Will
>the 345 bolt right into the compartment? The engine compartment looked
>so much more spacious than mine. Are the radiator hoses the same?

Everything, re: whole motor, should bolt in.  Rad should be OK (was there
ever a heavier duty version that was used only on 345s?)  Shoot, you can
swap a 196-4cyl right in.. my '77 had that done to it before I bought it
(lucky for me, I also have the "weaker" 4cyl radiator, so a V8 swap needs a
few more parts)

>   3. How good is the Dana 30? It is easier to do a spring over on,
>isn't it? Is having disk brakes that much better than the drums? Can I
>do a disk conversion on the 30?

The '30 is easier to spring over, since the passenger perch isn't cast into
the diff housing, but the 30 is "weaker".  If you're building a heavy duty
rig, you'll want to swap it out.  Also, the drums are worse than the discs..
and every bit (or more) expensive.

You can convert the Dana 30 to discs.. but why bother?  Are you merging your
two Scouts together?  Grab the '44s from the '79 and throw 'em under..

You'll also need to swap the master cylinders and proportioning valves.

Remember that drum brakes like to get crap inside.. I had a scary experience
after some mudding, where I had to cross a narrow land bridge to get back to
the pavement.  The "bridge" is composed of very greasy clay (and it had been
raining).. I flew up on the ridge, and tried to slow down to take it easy..
NOTHING from the brakes!  The 3spd went into 1st, and I turned off into the
field.. lucky for me, I was slowing down *before* I came upon the "bridge"..
I put it in 4-lo and creepd across until the brakes finally dried themselves
out.

>   4. Will my bucket seats bolt right into where the bench seat is?
>I appreciate all the help I know I'm going to get on this . Thanks.

Yep.

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs