Re: ihc-digest V5 #54

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, ihc-digest wrote:

> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 1997 09:04:26 -0700
> From: Clay McDonald <cbm@domain.elided>
> Subject: Towing a scout II
>
> I am moving across the country in about 4 weeks, and am
> trying to figure out how to get my Scout out there with me.
> I called U-haul, and they claim their trailers and tow-dolly's
> are not rated above ~4000 pounds (which I know my SII
> exceeds handily).  I could just take the chance and rent it
> anyway, but I'd rather do it right.
>
> Has anyone out there tried flat-towing a Scout ?  I'm a little
> worried about it's steering, as it doesn't return to center
> worth a damn.  In my understanding, you are relying on the
> return-to-center to keep the towed vehicle in line.  Is this
> true ?  If so, can anyone suggest a solution ?

Clay,

I've flat towed my Scout II, dry, wet, mud and ice; and the only time I
had problems with the return to center was in making sharp turns.

If, when entering gas stations, etc, you have someone in your scout's
driver seat (power steering? need engine running) following the movements
of the tow vehicle.  It makes such entries and exits much easier.  After
exiting the last sharp turn off the scout and continue on your way.

Yes, the above can be done solo - it adds to the sneaker wear.

And you'll become great at making long sweeeeeeeping turns.

Tow bar:  U-Haul makes a great bolt on tow bar.  Buy it, It will be the
best $140 you've spent.

Each tow bar leg end bolts to the towed vehicle with two bolts.  One of
each of these bolts goes right through one of your bumper mounting hole.
You'll have to purchase longer (grade 8 please) bolts with matching nuts.

When you buy your new bolts, nuts and washers, go to a machine tool
company and buy a good drill bit to drill the two new holes.

As I recall, the hole for the second passenger side bolt has to be drilled
for room for washer support stock while still allowing clearance for
the brake crossover line.

Don't over tighten the bolts as to crush your frame box.

One other thing.  Spend another $30 at U-haul for their magnetic light set.
You'll spend more than $30 of your *time*and*money*trashing*your*system*
trying to do the same thing.

Do this and your scout will follow you like a new puppy.

If you have a winch or non-stock bumper, some of the above will still apply.

Hopes this helps.

Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided