RE: heads

>Howard,  With all this talk about head-swapping, what is the true grit on
the
>block/bore/stroke setup for IH engines?  I thought the similarities were:
>
>266,304 same crank different bore,
>304,345 different crank same bore
>345,392 same crank different bore
>
>Is this bunk?
>
>     -Joel Brodsky

AFAIK essentially correct with the added note that 345/392's have different
deck heights(a 345 is essentially a stroked 304) than the 266/304. It seems
what we really need is a chart of combustion chamber volumes. Looking in my
parts books, the bad news is the chart would have to be really big to cover
all the part #'s, especially if you factor in the low compression 'export'
heads. The good news is there are probably more interchange combinations(if
you could get ahold of a specific part # head, of course). I can answer
part of the 266/304 head question by pulling a head off the stuck 266 I
have(don't hold your breath, it's on the bottom of the storage) and cc'ing
it to compare to the 304 heads sitting on the bench. I'll be surprised if
there's a significant difference.

Jim