POR-15

>Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 04:40:37 -0500
>From: "The Staub Family" <jstaub@domain.elided>
>Subject: POR-15
>
>I have been following the discussions on rust prevention for a
>while, and did some surfing to get more infor on POR-15. It sounds
>pretty good, but I am a bit leery of the price tag. I  ran across

Big Snip

>I don't mind spending the bucks if it works, but I don't want to
>cover my baby with snake oil.
>
>Thanks in advance for the info.
>
>John Staub
>'79 scout II 'Sierra' 345,727,stock

John,

POR-15 is great stuff. I've used it on a Plymouth convertible  I'm
restoring. It brushes on really well and seems to settle to a smooth
gloss with no brush marks.

A few points to consider when using POR-15.

1..  It bonds to skin like crazy glue, ie. it does not
wipe/wash/scrape off.

2..  It bonds to everything else just like skin.

3..  If you purchase a gallon, like I did, transfer it into smaller
containers. Put plastic wrap between the lid and the can, otherwise
the can will be permanently sealed. I found a supplier of pint cans
and used these along with a bunch of baby food bottles.

4..  Store the can/bottles upside down so that any skin forms on the
bottom of the container.

5..  If you must spray the stuff, us an old air-less sprayer and
discard after use. I know one POR-15 user who goes to garage sales
and buys all the sprayers he finds. In a good spray gun, POR-15 is
almost impossible to properly clean out.

6..  POR-15 is UV sensitive so don't use as a top coat where the sun
can get at it. Underneath is ok.

7..  If you are going to put expensive paint on the top side, don't
use POR-15 as the prime coat. Most top-coat suppliers insist on their
primers etc before they will guarantee the top-coat.

I'm not sure where you are, but I bought mine from a supplier in
Vancouver and it was only $130/gal CDN. Your price of $200 seems
pretty high for North America.

Have fun

Bill Mounteer
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Phone (403) 253-7709
Fax   (403) 640-0180
'78 Traveler 345/auto/air/mega rust - being restored
'77 Traveler 345/auto/air/parts supply/currently stolen