Re: POR-15

< I have been following the discussions on rust prevention for a while, and
<did some surfing to get more infor on POR-15. It sounds pretty good, but I
<am a bit leery of the price tag. I  ran across their web page, and on it
< found an offer for a trial rust prevention kit for $10.......... it has some
of
<their Metal-Ready etch, a small jar of paint, gloves, brushes, and limited
< instructions. I suppose it's not bad for 10 bucks,........ If anybody wants
to try one,
<their number is 1-800-457-6715. BTW, I have no affiliations with these
<guys, etc. etc.

< I'd be interested in hearing from the guys (or gals) who have used this
< stuff on thier rigs. Their catalog claims some pretty amazing things -
< paint over rust, no chipping, fills holes, smoothes over pock marks, - even
< julliannes fries. has anybody used it and had it on for enought years to
< know if it works? I don't mind spending the bucks if it works, but I don't
< want to cover my baby with snake oil.

John,

My Dad and I have been using POR-15 for about 2 years now.  WE LOVE IT!  I
wish I found this product earlier during my restoration.  So far, I've used it
on/in/around my frame, inside all the panels I could reach, on my axles,
inside the doors, etc....
I used a spray gun designed for reaching inside panels (like for rust proofing
products) on most of these locations.

I also used POR-15 on a battery box I welded together, and haven't seen any
effects from the battery on the finish yet.

My gas tank was leaking, so I ordered their fuel tank sealer kit.  I used the
kit inside the tank, and then painted the outside of the tank with regular
POR-15.  It hasn't leaked since.  (My Dad has used the kit on at least 5 tanks
now with excellant results)

On the engine I'm rebuilding, I plan to coat the entire thing in regular
POR-15, followed by one of their heat resistant color coats like Thunderbird
Red.

In my experience, this stuff is incredibly hard when dry, and rust really can
be painted directly over to prevent any further spread (It seals out oxygen
and moisture from reaching the surface).  No place I have used this stuff has
rusted through yet. (I wish I could say that about other products I tried!)

The only problem I have using POR-15 is that if it dryes in you, It takes a
LONG time to wear off.  Clean your spray gun, paint brush, arm, leg, or
anything else you get it on BEFORE it has a chance to dry.  Also, it cures
using moisture, so don't drip sweat or condensation from a drink into the can.
It ruins the entire can, trust me.  We normally by the quart or pint size cans
depending on what size project we're working on.  It might cost a little more
up front this way, but we don't waist as much in the long run.  Also, regular
POR-15 has no UV protection, so only use it in areas that don't get direct sun
light. (It fades out otherwise)

On almost all of our applications, we painted the POR onto the surface without
using the Metal-Ready etching product.  On new metal or a galvanized surface,
it would be required to give the POR something to "cling" to.

If you have any questions, E-mail me or call 602-917-2609.  Between my Dad and
I, we've probably tried all of their products.  I haven't been disappointed
yet.

Mike
FLY4SCOUT@domain.elided