Re: ihc-digest V5 #54

<< I am moving across the country in about 4 weeks, and am
 trying to figure out how to get my Scout out there with me.
 I called U-haul, and they claim their trailers and tow-dolly's
 are not rated above ~4000 pounds (which I know my SII
 exceeds handily).  I could just take the chance and rent it
 anyway, but I'd rather do it right.

When I moved from Indiana to Kansas, I towed my 200 4x4 (which weighed a lot
more than a scout, especially with spare parts and 4 38" tires in the back!)
on a U-haul trailer and had no problems.  The U-haul dealer even helped me
load my truck.  The only thing I've found to watch for with U-haul is that
their trailers are not particularly well-balanced, resulting in a lot of
tongue weight.  One requirement for hauling that much weight on their trailer,
though, was that you had to have a fairly large tow vehicle (I also had rented
one of their big trucks, so this was not a problem).  Check back with another
dealer and verify that the info the first one gave you is correct.  I'm
generally not wild about flat-towing...it's not only not real good for the
vehicle you're towing, but it will really wear you out in a hurry driving and
trying to keep track of it.
John Langmaid