Choke & still unknown carb.

Hello again, Still trying to figure out which carb I have and how to get
my choke to work right. I should be getting a Holley book soon. Hopefully
then I can identify it. It looks very similar to the 2300 in the manual
with enough of a difference to question whether it is or not.
     As for the choke, the fast idle was never set correctly and the
choke plate was sticking. I took this opportunity to change from the
automatic choke to a hand choke.(I like the extra control) As for the
fast idle, I've got some problems. Whenever I adjusted the fast idle
screw close enough to the fast idle cam the cam was unable to move the
screw to make the idle go up. The tension on the fast idle screw is way
too much. When I move it by hand I noticed that it forces the throttle
lever the accelerator lever and everything else on the other side of the
carb to move with it. This seems like a lot of excess weight for a little
plastic cam to move. I've studied it for awhile now and everything looks
like it is logically hooked up, loosened up, and set up. But, what do I
know? Any suggestions?

George H
72 Scout II
345 with still unknown carb.