old scouts

I was looking through a bunch of old magazines the other day. They were
various truck and van mags, remember the late seventies! I noticed that
Scouts seemed to win quite a few off-road races. Specifically Sherman
Balch, Jimmy Jones in SSII's and Frank Howarth of ORD performance in a
traveler. Does anyone remember seeing any of this, or the whereabouts of
these rigs? I am sure that these trucks were highly modified for the era
they were in and would be a dinosaur today, but it would be neat to see
how the factory and dealers modified them to be so successful. From the
pictures I can tell that they ran a reverse shackle in the front. I know
that the Mike Ismail runs one now, but whats the history behind IH's
involvement?

Nick
79 with glass body slowly coming together