Re: engine oil

On Thu, 04 Dec 1997 00:00:20 +0000, zee <zee@domain.elided> wrote:

>I was under the impression that too
>much oil could cause damage. I have tried 1 quart of extra oil but the
>pressure did the same thing.

It's my understanding... and someone can correct me if I'm wrong... there
are a couple of dangers when adding too much oil to a crankcase.  This may
not apply to all engines... certain types of engine are affected more than
others.

The first I can think of is that the oil level in the sump can be so high
that the crankshaft actually dips into the oil causing splashing and oil
foaming.  Oil foaming can lead to excessive amounts of oil being sucked
into the PCV system and out past engine seals (like the front and rear main
seals).  Heavy foaming can also be a cause of oil cavitation in the pump.
Foamed oil can have reduced lubricating qualities.

Another problem with high oil level could be the static oil level might be
above the rear and / or front main seals and pan gasket.  Excessive seepage
can be the result as these seals and gaskets are constantly fully or
partially submerged in oil.

This isn't to suggest that adding one or even two extra quarts of oil to
*your* IH engine will be a problem or cause any sort of harm.  I just don't
know.  Since you've tried one quart extra, go ahead and try two and see
what happens.  Watch for signs of oil being sucked into the breather
through the PCV system or oil smoke coming from the tailpipe.  You can
always drain a little back out if something negative happens.

If two extra quarts doesn't help, then surely it must be something else.
If it were me and the problem continued, at the next oil charge I'd drop
the oil pan and remove the oil pump to just check it out.  It's really
pretty simple... there's usually lots of room under there.  You can clean
and re-paint the oil pan while you're at it... and replace that old leaking
pan gasket too!

>I don't go faster than the engine seems comfortable. However, it sounds
>totally fine and could rev higher at the point the oil pressure drops so
>I use the oil gauge to determine my top speed.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of oil pressure gauge are you looking at?
Is it the stock IH gauge or an aftermarket?  If aftermarket, what brand and
type (electrical or mechanical)?

>John was telling me that this subject was discussed on the digest
>earlier, probably earlier than I subscribed, so if anyone has the
>relevant digests they could send them to me and avoid a repeat
>discussion.

If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll try and remember to search my
archives at home tonight... but I think we've covered most of the basics
here again already.

Take care,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |