Re: re engine oil

Howard R Pletcher wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 1997 07:58:58 +0000 zee <zee@domain.elided> writes:
> >The persons that reccomended the different oils to me were (when it
> >comes to Scouts) people we would all listen to.  The reason I want to
> >change oil is because at a prolonged 2800 revs the oil pressure will
> >drop from 40 to 20 pounds very rapidly, then when I back off to 2700
> >revs it climbs back up to 40lbs. It happens too quickly for heat. It
> >seems like oil starvation.
> >

> I don't remember what your first messages on this subject said, but I
> would agree that what you describe could be oil starvation due to all the
> crankcase oil being pumped up into the upper part of the engine.  This
> became a major problem around 73-74 and some internal changes were made
> in the engines to improve the flow back to the pan to get rid of the
> problem.  Of interest to you should be the temporary fix that was

That is an interesting comment. I believe that my engine is the original
in my 73. I was under the impression that all 345 engines were the same.
You are saying that the design was changed. What were the differences?
Maybe someone will add to this info?

 > recommended to alleviate the problem--just over fill the engine by
one
> (you might even try 2) quarts of oil.

Does this work as a fix? I am not going to change my engine very soon so
a permanent fix would be better. I was under the impression that too
much oil could cause damage. I have tried 1 quart of extra oil but the
pressure did the same thing.

> I don't know what recommendations you had regarding oils to use, but I
> don't think that will make much difference if you are starving, other
> than running a really good oil like perhaps a synthetic so you don't get
> damage if you do starve.  Have you ever reached the point where the
> lifters start to clatter?  If you haven't you probably haven't run out of

I don't go faster than the engine seems comfortable. However, it sounds
totally fine and could rev higher at the point the oil pressure drops so
I use the oil gauge to determine my top speed.

> oil to the point where the engine is damaged, but who wants to take a
> chance.
>
> Good luck
>
> Howard Pletcher
> Howteron Products Scout Parts

John was telling me that this subject was discussed on the digest
earlier, probably earlier than I subscribed, so if anyone has the
relevant digests they could send them to me and avoid a repeat
discussion.

Thanks

Bryan