Re: administrivia: accounts available on Krusty

At 04:29 PM 12/3/97 -0600, Robert Ducker wrote:
>I have to say that I've tried using my private internet provider's POP
>server through my employer's T1 line (a better fringe benefit than health
>insurance!) and the speed is always EXTREMELY SLOW (like a minute per
>message like this one). Speed using dialup is fine. I'm using nt4
>w/exchange and eudora for pop access. The isp claims that "non-domain"
>access must be so for any such server? Would this be true for your
>connection also?

there is probably a problem (oversubscription or other overloading) on one
of the links between your day job and your isp.

there are some limitations on bandwidth to the new server right now; it's on
a frame relay link with a 128KB/second committed information rate, but i
believe that the line has been heavily oversubscribed and we don't  really
see that rate during the afternoon, so the POP download would be a bit
sluggish at that time.

however, in January, the new server will find itself sitting at the end of 6
multiplexed T1s that run from Albany down to NYC, where we'll be peering
with Goodnet and ICI/Digex (two of the nationwide backbones); in February
we'll replace the 6 T1s with a T3 (a T3 is 28 T1s.) the server will only be
connecting via 10MB/second Ethernet, probably, and won't be able to fill the
45MB/second T3 if this proves to be the case. oh well.

once the 6 T1s are up, the only bottleneck will be bad connections on the
part of various and sundry ISPs.

we can all thank my day job for access to all this bandwidth.

cheers,
  richard
  (chief internet engineer, inet solutions, http://www.inet-solutions.net/)
--
Richard Welty                                             518-783-9003 (days)
rwelty@domain.elided              http://www.krusty-motorsports.com/