new to digest, single speed transfer?

Hi all, I'm new to the list and figured I'd introduce myself. I recently
bought a '73 Scout for my wife to drive (after she bent up the front end
on her '74 Duster on an icy road here in Montana).  While this is my
first 4wd IH, my father had (guess my brother's now) a '65 1 1/4 ton IH
pickup, 4 spd., straight 6 (same one they put in the Farmall M, 241?
242?). Took my driving test in it when I was 16, sure was a bitch to
parallel park with no power steering.  I remember getting a weight
ticket at the grain elevator at 15,600 lbs. gross (w/o dual wls.).  I
wanted one just like it when I turned 16, so I bought a '66 1 ton, 345,
4 spd. sight unseen. Never did get that thing on the road.  I also have
(back on the eastern shore of Maryland) a '74 Loadstar moving van, '24
box, used for storage now (got my '52 Chevy pickup(400 Pontiac,
subframe, chopped) inside, waiting for completion).
Now for a question, I suspect that my '73 Scout has one of those single
ratio transfer cases, no numbers left on shift lever, only seems to have
2 positions; did they use them in '73? what do they look like? It has an
automatic trans, 727 I suppose, a buddy of mine has a transfer case he
only identified as "off a Dodge", would this be a likely one to try and
swap in?
Thanx,
Eric Walter