Re: new to digest, single speed transfer?

On Tue, 02 Dec 1997 20:33:16 -0500 Eric Walter <ewalter@domain.elided> writes:
>Hi all, I'm new to the list and figured I'd introduce myself. I
>recently bought a '73 Scout for my wife to drive (after she bent up the
front
>end on her '74 Duster on an icy road here in Montana).  While this is my
>first 4wd IH, my father had (guess my brother's now) a '65 1 1/4 ton
>IH pickup, 4 spd., straight 6 (same one they put in the Farmall M, 241?
>242?).

Nope, not the Farmall engine.  Truck Division built their own engines
with no (or few) common parts, although the displacements could have been
similar.

>Now for a question, I suspect that my '73 Scout has one of those
>single ratio transfer cases, no numbers left on shift lever, only seems
>have 2 positions; did they use them in '73? what do they look like? It
has
>an automatic trans, 727 I suppose, a buddy of mine has a transfer case
he
>only identified as "off a Dodge", would this be a likely one to try
>and swap in?

The single speed, chain drive transfer case was available in 73, but if
you've got a shift lever, you don't have the single speed.  It used a
cable control with a knob on the dash.  If you know what a Dana 20 case
looks like, you can also easliy tell by crawling under the truck.  The
single speed has an aluminum case and is about 1/2 the size of a Dana 20.

I'm not familiar with what Dodge used, but my first guess is that it's a
remote mount transfer case and would not be an easy swap.  If it's
necessary to swap, I'd stick with one from a Scout to keep things simple.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts