Re: new to digest, single speed transfer?

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Eric Walter wrote:

> bought a '73 Scout for my wife to drive (after she bent up the front end
> on her '74 Duster on an icy road here in Montana).  While this is my

Oh?  I'm guessing you live in Missoula.. ?

> Now for a question, I suspect that my '73 Scout has one of those single
> ratio transfer cases, no numbers left on shift lever, only seems to have
> 2 positions; did they use them in '73? what do they look like? It has an

The "single speed" chain driven transfer case is actuated by a knob on
the dash.. I believe it's to the right of the column.  No "stick" on the
floor for the t'case.

So, I'll assume you have a Dana 20.  LOW is ALL the way forward.. the
shifter should just about hit the hood release knob (on my '77, with the
stock chrome knob, it vibrates and rattles until I go insane).  Pull it
*all* the way opposite, and it nearly hits the bench seat in 4wd.  A
little up from that is 2-hi, and then in the middle is Neutral.

> automatic trans, 727 I suppose, a buddy of mine has a transfer case he
> only identified as "off a Dodge", would this be a likely one to try and
> swap in?

If it's a divorce mounted NP205, you could use it if you wanted to.  If
it's "mated" to the tranny (auto), you could make it work with a Dodge
727 and the IH 727 and putting the parts together.  I've heard of people
using a Dodge 727 tranny with the IH tailshaft and Dana 20 to swap in a
Mopar (Mopower?) in their Scout.. I assume the same could be done to use
a Dodge 727 mounted NP205 in a Scout w/ a 'Binder motor.  Truth is, if
you don't have a Dana 20, they're not hard to come by (figure $100?)

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'72 and '77 Scout IIs
Member Frontier 4x4 of East Helena, MT and the Montana Assoc. of 4WD