Re: overfiring?

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, J MICHAEL SHAW II wrote:

> First off, let me thank those of you that had suggestions for me on my
> last submission having to do with this problem-here's an update:  I
> changed the coil-as four out of five ihc-digest subscribers recommend
> for the idiots having these problems.  Almost as soon as I took off
> down the rode, it began firing and bucking as it had before.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like it runs OK most of the
time but occasionally is somehow firing at the wrong time.  The only
place I can think of where a spark could get routed to the wrong place
at the wrong time is the distributor cap.  I've never seen what you
describe happen, but I suppose if the cap were cracked in exactly the
right place a spark could jump to the wrong wire sometimes, especially
when the weather is damp.  Take a look at the distributor at night when
it's pitch dark, while the engine's running.  If there's a crack in the
cap it'll light up like a lightning bolt.

Regards,
Daniel Youngquist | INTERNET MEMORY EXCHANGE |     HOMESTEAD PRODUCTS
tel: 541-688-9263 | Memory & Memory Adapters | Grain Mills, Water Filters
fax: 541-688-9775 |  www.teleport.com/~dany  | www.teleport.com/~dany/mill
dany@domain.elided | * VISA * MasterCard * Great Prices * NO SALES TAX! *
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
    Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1759