Re: Air Filter Housing Help.

STEVEROO@domain.elided scribbled in the sand:

>Just completed putting a Carter AFB 625 CFM carb on my 345.  Got it running
>and am still working on getting the transmission kickdown to work right.  The
>problem i need help with is the air filter housing.  The old one won't fit,
>the auto parts stores only have round ones that won't clear the coolant
>outlet.  Does anyone know of another filter housing that could be obtained
>from a junkyard?  The carb inlet is 5" in diameter.  Seems to be about an
>inch more room above the carb than the stock carb had.  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Steve,

I had the same problem when I went from the stock Holley 2210C two-barrel carb
to an Edelbrock 500 cfm model 1404 on my V345A.  The Edelbrock is the same
size as your Carter.  I went ahead and used a new chrome 10" diameter
Edelbrock breather.  This breather is available at most good auto parts
stores, or Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com).  This breather clears the
thermostat housing with plenty of room to spare, as is big enough for the
volume of air your 345 needs.  Alternatively you *could* find a used breather
off a vehicle in a wrecking yard... *most* breathers that came off a
four-barrel equipped engine will fit your Carter carb... but because they are
so large in diameter, the thermostat housing will still be the primary issue.
It'll be a real trial and error fit.

For more information on hooking up your automatic transmission kickdown lever,
you may want to check out the Edelbrock carburetor installation FAQ at URL...
http://www.binderbulletin.com/faq/9.htm#3

Take care,

John

jlandry@domain.elided             |
Conservative Libertarian        |  Scout(R) the America others pass by
Life Member of the NRA          | in the Scout Traveler escape-machine.
WA Arms Collectors              |
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.   | 1976 Scout Traveler, V345A, 727, 3.54
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/ |