RE: Subject: brake line

Sorry to play devil"s advocate again...but....
In my copious (yah riiiiight) spare time, I've also been working on a v-8 conversion for a datsun 280z. In discussions in a Nissan/Datsun Z digest there was quite a discussion a month ago about the perils and positives of stainless teflon brake lines.
Most are NOT DOT approved. The DOT test involves whipping the hose around for so many thousand cycles. There are also pressure and stretch tests. And an all critical materials aging test. The plus of teflon/stainless hoses is that they don't bulge very much under pressure, resulting in more progressive pedal feel. The down side is that they have a tendency to fatige rapidly around the crimp fittings especially then they move a lot (4X4 application!!!). On race cars, they have no problems, because the life of most race cars is so short. Some of the autocrossers replace their hoses every two years whether they think they need to be changed or not. Didn't someone with a Scout 800 metion a hose failure on stainless lines?
Anyway, DOT approval does mean something. I'd check to make sure first, and even then be leery. It's not like SS lines are going to make the crappy brakes on my '72 with drums respond any better anyway..heheh

Owen Minor
Tacoma, WA