Re: Wipers

> We've had off and on discussion recently about wipers and wiper blades, and
> Yank's letter about the ANCO wipers brought up a thought.
>
> Is there ANYBODY who makes or sells a direct fit blade, or do we all just
> have to fabricate?  Has anyone found or looked for a replacement assembly
 I got a set from Jim Maulis - he's on Jim Weed's parts supplier list. This
was over a year ago, so who knows if he's still got them.

> for where it attaches to the motor at the truck itself?  Certainly, with IH
> getting so many parts from the other manufacturers, there is a more up to
> date arm assembly that could be switched out.
 I found this in an old Binder Bunch News:

- ------ begin include ------

WIPING IN THE BACKCOUNTRY / BUSHES
- ----------------------------------
Swish . . . Swish . . . Or, "What do you do when you gotta wipe?!?

An annoying problem for Binders on the trail is when you are up to your
armpits in mud, goo all over the windshield. You turn on the wiper switch,
and your last set of three-year-old International Harvester wipers spit the
little rubber part (the "wipey" part) into the bushes and the blade begins
to cut arcing gouges into your brand new tinted windshield. SCRATCH!!
SCRAPE!!  GASP!!    There is a solution.

IH wiper blades are hard to locate on a regular basis, expensive when you
can find them, and the rubber part is usually already hard from age. The
solution is to swap out the IH wiper arm assemblies and replace them with
ANCO Adjustable Arm(s) -- Part Number 41-03 (large spindle on driver's side)
and Part Number41-02 (Small Spindle on the passenger side). The wiper driver
spindles that poke through the cowl are two different sizes (we don't know
why), and you will require one of each. Once you make this swap, instead of
$8 to $14 EACH (eek!) for IH blades, you will now be able to use any bayonet
mount 12" or 13" blade for $2 to $6. Best of all, no more reaching around the
windshield frame with a wad of Charmin!

- -Mike Rudolph

- ------ end include ------

 I haven't done this, but I understand that you give up the feature that the
stock wiper arm has that the driver's side wiper pivots on it's arm as it
wipes - this keeps the wiper blade more verticle, and helps it wipe more of
the windshield (more of a rectangular area instead of just a triangular
area).

> Paul Brakefield
> "Dirtball"
>
> 1966 IHC Scout 800- "The Beast"
> Chevy 350/SM465/Dana20
>
> 1973 Scout II
> 345/727/Dana20
>
> IHC Mailing List
> Georgia Bounty Runners
> Southern Four Wheel Drive Association
> United Fourwheel Drive Associations
> Proud Member of the NRA

 Later,                    /\  curt_cleavinger@domain.elided
   Curt                 /\/  \        /\
 [/</]   \_/       [\>\]              '75 Travelall 150
 [/>/]             [\<\] '75 Scout II