Re: MSD Ignition

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, John A. Landry wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Are you running both sets of points in your distributor, or did you remove
> one set?  I thought I recall reading in the MSD installation guide to
> remove the trailing set of points from a dual point distributor.  Dual
> points are used to extend dwell, but since the MSD computer handles that
> internally, dual points offer no advantage.  I suppose if it runs fine with
> both point sets it couldn't hurt anything.  Both sets of points would be
> good to have in case you have to disconnect the MSD ignition and run off
> the points.
>
> How does the distributor fit in regards to the height and positioning of
> the cap, etc.  Is the cap larger than stock?  Does it interfere with the
> thermostat housing?

John,

I left both sets of points in.  The only thing the MSD senses is the
breaking of the current flow when the lead points open.  It doesn't
matter if the trailing set is in or not.  Mine are in for now.

Distributor fits beautifully, no interferance.  The cap is about the same
size, maybe a bit smaller.  I believe it sticks up from the block a bit
less.  There's not much inside this case.  Oh, it has the new centrifugal
advance mechanism developed from circle-track racing (more robust).

If you're interested I can get the part number for you. I forgot to write
it down.  I don't believe the part number is in any catalog yet.  Mallory
was very supportive.  They really wanted this to work.  Dave Forbes
(Mallory Cust Serv 702 882-6600) was very gratefull when I offered to ship
my old distributor.  You may want to contact him.  It would let him know
that we appreciate their help keeping the IH's alive.

Steve
Steven A. Stegmann
     _/_/_/    _/      _/_/_/ "No free man shall ever be debarred the use
   _/    _/   _/_/   _/    _/  of arms.  The strongest reason for the
   _/        _/ _/   _/        people to retain the right to keep and bear
    _/_/    _/  _/    _/_/     arms is, as a last resort, to protect
       _/  _/_/_//       _/    themselves against tyranny in government"
 _/_/_/  _/     _/ _/_/_/         Thomas Jefferson, June 1776