Re: 5 speed trannys

I too have considered one of the 5 speed transmissions.  I think it would be
great in conjunction with a 152 or 196 powered scout.  You would have a
bulletproof albeit low powered engine, a huge clutch (if you went with the
bell-housing and clutch from the loadstar), and a huge transmission with
either a super low first or overdrive 5th (adjust final drive ratio
accordingly).  I suppose you would have to use a divorced mounted t-case.
 Then your problem would be the driveshaft length.  I wonder how much longer
this setup would be compared to the stock t-19 and dana 20?  I have always
been a fan of low powered engines with a lot of gears (fuel economy).
 Perhaps this would be better suited for those lucky folks with the travelers
and terras.

I get the heavy equipment sales magazines at times.  They are great places to
look for IH gas engines, small diesels (lots of 7.3's, and 6.9's), and the
transmissions you are talking about.  I found one place that was having a
sale on s series parts.  5 speed transmissions were selling between 200 and
500 dollars.  A lot of these were used in dump trucks and garbage trucks so
pto units should be quite common as well.  The gas engines were "tested
good".  304's were usually around 500.  345's and 392's are from 500 to 800.
 I have also seen several of the s series 4x4's.  I guess they were used in
logging and utility work.  You could go from the bellhousing back to the
t-case.  Again, the length would be the limiting factor.  Most of the
commercial users are getting away from using the gas engines so parts from
these trucks seem to be very reasonable.

just some thoughts,

Greg