SteeringColumns

I have a couple of steering column items, sorry if this is a repeat.
I have several columns to choose from, most are nontilt variety.  Has
anyone else noted two different steering shafts used, as in, the
wheel nut threads are different.  3 of 4 shafts have a larger thread
size with coarser tpi.  I have standardized on the larger style, it
is generally from a later model as best I can tell, probably best
design.  All shafts have collapsible plastic center section.  While
my columns show no signs of impact damage, a couple were short by at
most one inch.  I gently pressed all to a standardized full length.
It does wonders for getting the column attachments bolts to align.
Question.  Was it a mistake to press back the plastic center section?
There appears to be no visible harm and this section is a stout as
ever.  Also, I am not able to get the steering wheel column switches
to come within contact of their cancelling lobe.  It appears to not
fit totally together, yet it looks and functions great in all other
aspects.  The horn contactor barely meets.  If anyone has been here
and can shed light, I appreciate your comments.  Mark