Re: 5 speed trannys

>Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 02:03:35 -0800 (PST)
>From: amp@domain.elided (amp)
>Subject: 5-speed transmission prices
>
>Recently I was talking to the guy who was parting out the old loadstars
>and he has several International V-8 engines and 5-speed transmissions
>that he is selling.

Hey, any chance you can tell the rest of us where these are?  The T-34
would be an overdrive unit, which would be great for a 4.10 geared
pickup or travelall that will be driven on the interstate at 65-75 mph.
I want one myself.  I think I found a 5 speed locally in a school bus,
but I'm pretty sure it isn't an overdrive.  The yard I found it at priced
it at $175, and I have to pull it.  Remember, they weigh 192 lb.  I think
I could get it cheaper, because there isn't a big demand for them.

As far as 2 speed rearends, I looked into them, but the ratios
listed in my parts book were so low (8.something and 5.something
to 1) that I don't think they are practical for any light trucks.  I was
hoping they would have a 4.10/3.50 setup, so I could have
higher gearing for the interstate.  I think the market for these is
limited to small dump trucks, etc.

I think the 5 speed would work well in your travelall.

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup