Re: trouble starting

>Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 18:13:49 +0000
>From: Nicholas Rayer Jr <nrayer@domain.elided>
>Subject: trouble starting
>
>Hope somebody can help me before it gets to cold. My 80 traveler w/345
>is acting up when starting. If  I crank it for more than a few seconds
>the starter begins to chatter like the battery is low. If it catches
>right away I don't notice it, but now that it is cold it has to crank
>awhile when cold. Stop and try again, same thing. If I turn the key on
>and jump the contacts on the solenoid it will crank over nice and smooth
>for as long as I dare hold a wrench on it. I have replaced starter and
>solenoid, battery, auto trans relay, and jumped terminals on neutral
>safety switch. Even ran a temporary ground from batt to starter. Seems
>as though something is drawing way too many amps. The only part I
>haven't checked is the ignition switch, because I can't figure out how
>to get at it without pulling the column. Could this cause my trouble? I
>am running out of ideas.
>
>thanks, nick

You may want to check out your voltage regulator.  It may be allowing your
battery to discharge while the truck isn't running.  Also, check your
grounds for a poor connection.  If that doesn't help, you could go ahead and
install a monstrous battery in your fenderwell like I did.
I bought an Exide Group 31 Construction Equipment battery and mounted it in
my fenderwell.  I did have to do away with the original equipment radiator
overflow tank, but now a '79 Toyota Corolla overflow tank is doing the
duties (and it's not the one off my car, either...:).  It takes a custom
battery tray, as well.  My Scout didn't have any tray left, so I didn't have
a problem with it.  I bought my battery as a factory second from Exide for
$25.00, and I know it's at least an 800 amp battery (never set a gauge to
it, though...).  You can also purchase a brand new 950 amp Group 31 battery
from your nearby (I hope) Case/IH dealer for only $89.02 (that's our price,
anyway!)  These new batteries have epoxy bonded plates to help resist
vibration and come with a 3 year warranty.  The part number is BMF31G.  You
can also acquire a factory second battery like mine from your Case/IH dealer
(maybe) or your local Exide warehouse (definitely) for around $25.00, and
they come with a 90 day full warranty, but no manufacturer's decals (that
why I'm not sure just how strong my battery is...) Hope that helps!

Denni