Re: Engine cleaning and other questions

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Ilia Zharkov wrote:

> I have replaced my '87 535i engine (cracked block) with another
> off a junk yard. It runs OK, but it is kinda dirty inside from
> sitting a year or so on a shelf. The junk yard people said that I
> can clean it easily by adding a quarter of kerosin to oil until
> the next change. What do you think? Any other cleaning (or not
> cleaning) suggestions.

 Sounds like a motor flush, a solvent that you add for 5 minutes at
hot idle just before you change the oil.  I don't know that I would
drive with the oil thinned out like that, but others may disagree.

> Also the temperature gauge arrow is barely off the blue zone on
> highway (it gets more close to the middle in traffic). Is it bad?
> My previous ones used to be a little below the middle position. If
> it's bad for the engine to be too cold I could replace the
> termostat with my old one.

 Sounds like a bad thermostat.  Try a known good one.

- --
 "It is an honor to be Cookie Monster."
   -Sesame Street spokeswoman Audrey Shapiro