Engine cleaning and other questions

Hi folks,

I have replaced my '87 535i engine (cracked block) with another off a junk
yard. It runs OK, but it is kinda dirty inside from sitting a year or so
on a shelf. The junk yard people said that I can clean it easily by adding
a quarter of kerosin to oil until the next change. What do you think? Any
other cleaning (or not cleaning) suggestions.

It starts a little rough but after 5-7 seconds it runs fine. I believe
it's the cold start valve not functioning properly. Any other thoughts?

Also the temperature gauge arrow is barely off the blue zone on highway
(it gets more close to the middle in traffic). Is it bad? My previous ones
used to be a little below the middle position. If it's bad for the engine
to be too cold I could replace the termostat with my old one.

Thanks.
Ilia.
'87 535is 145k