Re: Windscreen cracked!

MichaelJAdair@domain.elided wrote:
> I just spider webbed my windshield on my M3 because I was an idiot
> during a wiper blade install! Is this a dealer only, special glass,
> etc. install or can I avoid the stealer? Any feedback, tips welcome.

Michael,
BMW does not make glass. There are about half dozen companies that supply
glass for our cars. My E30 used to have the OE glass manufacturer names
etched on the glass next to the roundels. I haven't check the E36s.
The dealership techs don't know how to install the windshields either.
They farm out the work to the independent installers after taking a cut on
the roundel embossed glass.
Most factory installed windshields are very soft. Lot's of theories on the
reasons behind that, but the end result is that they are very prone to
sand blasting. PPG is one popular alternative that is a bit harder than
stock. I had it in my E30 and know others who are happy with the E36 PPG
windshields.
The key is getting a distortion free windshield. The only way to insure
that is to be there when the installer is about to drop it into your car.
Both dealer and aftermarket glass can have minor or major distortions.
It's a lot easier to ask for another windshield before it gets glued to
your car.

HTH,
alex f