Re: can't bleed brakes if AST???

Don,

The reason the notice/warning is provided in the Bentley manual is that the
dealer uses a computer to cycle the ABS pump while bleeding the brakes,
insuring that the entire system is purged.  There are many people who bleed
the brakes themselves, without cycling the ABS pump, and haven't had a
problem.

I've heard people say that they bleed the brakes, drive the car and engage
the ABS several times, then come back and bleed again.  I'm not sure that
this clears fluid out of the pump, since the brake system is closed (i.e.,
the fluid doesn't circulate from the master cylinder, through the ABS pump,
down to the calipers, and back to the master cylinder), so I don't
understand how this alternate method would flush fluid out of the ABS pump.
The ABS pump merely modulates the pressure put onto the hydraulic system, to
prevent wheel lockup.  Why would it pump fluid out, into a closed tube
(brake line to caliper)?  I don't think it does.

When the dealer performs this automated bleeding operation, the ABS pump is
engaged while the bleeder screws are opened, so the fluid in the ABS pump
has a place to go...out of the system!

Ron Buchalski
BMWCCA #76387
1995 E36 M3