can't bleed brakes if AST???

I'm reading the Bentley service manual before bleeding the brakes on my '96
328i.  It says in a warning box that on cars with All Seasons Traction (AST,
ASC, or ASC+T)  special BMW service equipment is required to properly bleed
the ABS/AST system. It goes on to say ...'for safety reasons.'

Does this mean I can't or shouldn't bleed the rest of the system except for
the ABS? Or that I'm wasting my time if I do because there will be old fluid
stuck in the ABS reservoir?  What is the 'safety' issue they are referring
to?

Thanks,
Don Bredle